Thursday, October 1, 2015

Chef in training

Every morning Riley wakes up first. She wants to snuggle. It's like having a life-size teddy bear in the house. This morning as we were snuggling she offered to make me coffee. All of my kids have a general idea of how to make my coffee (we started that training years ago) so I agreed and off she went. I came down as it was dripping out of the Keurig and remembered that I had some decaf cups in the coffee drawer and was worried she grabbed one of those (no decaf in the morning!). She said "Nope, I used the only blue one in the whole drawer!" which I realized was hot chocolate. So, Riley made herself hot chocolate.

Then Austin came down, grabbed the waffle mix out of the pantry and said "I'm making waffles." Ummm.....I'm fairly certain he's never done this before. My first instinct was to say "no" because I didn't want to deal with the mess. Then I realized he'd never been eager to cook before and the benefits that can come from someone else making breakfasts in the morning far outweighed a mess. So, I showed him where the directions were and off he went. I gave him a tiny bit of help but it was mostly him. He then even served up everyone's waffles for them according to their preferences (Butter & Syrup vs. Peanut Butter & Syrup)





Not bad. And the girls raved about how tasty they were so his ego isn't hurting either.

I think we might be on to something here.

No comments: