Tuesday, September 8, 2015

They Finally Crashed Our Party

I love the Minnesota State Fair, I love the people watching, the food, the slide, Ye’ Old Mill, shopping, and even watching the infomercial guys.  I could watch them for hours.  Mesmerizing.  I was delighted when the fair started this year.  Even more excited when my work offered us free tickets and $50 in food vouchers.  The only thing I was hesitant about was that this was the first year we were thinking about bringing the kids.  Up until now, the fair had been a sacred date day with Rob and the kids had stayed with my parents.

This year we decided to share the fun with them.  They really had no idea what to expect.  The closest we’ve come is the County fair which is NOT at all the same.  when we arrived they did’t seem too overwhelmed but I later found out they didn’t realize it was any bigger han the couple blocks we could see.  It wasn’t long before we saw a slushy machine and we were sitting down with our first snack.

IMG_3022[1]

It was a great day temperature-wise.  It threatened to rain all day so it never got very hot.  We walked up machinery hill aiming for Cinnie Smiths (and breakfast!).  We only got side-tracked a few time by the giant sing-a-long (Ellie) and the Pet Center (Riley and Ellie), and campers (Me). Add “campers” to my love the state fair list.  My kids loved them too.

We tried to hold on to some of our traditions and took the kids through the fine arts building where they appreciated some art and questioned others.

IMG_3024[1]

But, in general, we have no idea where the day went.  We did not go in the Creative Arts building, the coliseum, the grand stand, heritage square, or the international bazaar. We didn’t sit down to watch any music or shows.  We didn’t watch the lumberjack show or any horse competitions.

We did look at all the animals…which is something Rob and I usually skip.

IMG_3025[1]

The kids got to pet a newborn piglet and Riley was insistent on finding the largest boar.

IMG_3026[1]

And after we found the big pig, we saw the cattle and sheep and she narrowly escaped being side kicked by a passing cattle.  She laughed.  I had a heart attack.

We got there around 10am and left at 4pm due to a sleepover the girls needed (and wanted) to attend.  But I feel like I should get a d0-over this year.  Rob and I agreed that maybe bringing the kids would be an every other year event.  The kids do not think this is a good idea.  Good thing we have a year to think about it.

IMG_3027[1]

p.s. – The girls REALLY wanted to ride a sky tram thing and debated over which one it would be (the chairlift style or the capsule style).  We settled on the capsule style.  Approximately 15 seconds into the ride Riley clenched onto my leg and said “I forgot I don’t really like heights”.  Can you see the fear I her eyes?

p.p.s—my new idea of using that app on my ipad has its limitations.  I wrote this blog about a week or more ago and it just would not post via the app.  I guess it had too many pictures?  I had to re-type it all the old fashioned way.  We went to the fair August 28th.

No comments: