Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Can’t stop staring

At my pantry!  I know it’s not polite, but come on over, I won’t judge.  I’m that excited about it.

My pantry is actually pretty large, I think.  I probably think that because growing up we had a cupboard(s) and now I have a whole closet devoted to food storage.  For the better part of 9 years (with a couple weeks here and there of cleanliness) the pantry has been a bit of a catch-all.  All of the kids’ craft items are stored there, some small appliances, the majority of our board games (and we LOVE games), and anything else that didn’t seem to have a proper home. 

Like I said, there have been a few times that I have cleared it all out, and put it all back in and it has stayed nice for a week but old habits die hard and it’d be it’s messy self within 14 days.  This time I enlisted help.  From both my bank and Kerry.  If you read Kerry’s blog…or know her at all, you know she is a bit of an organization freak devotee.  She volunteered to help me. It was probably giving her heart palpitations every time she saw the inside!  I tried to just tackle it on my own.  I went to Target and bought some cute wooden crates with chalkboards on them and labeled a few things, and it got me here:

1

Which was a giant improvement (yes, that is improved).  But, I knew it wasn’t complete and I needed someone to kick my butt in gear so I accepted her offer and last Friday we spent four hours fixing the eyesore.  She instructed me to remove everything.  Then while I was cleaning off the shelves she walked around and grouped things into categories.  Then I had to go through each category and get rid of things I didn’t need (or know when I purchased…gross).  The amount of crafty items I pulled out of there for the kids was insane.  I bet Kerry secretly took pictures of the piles and sent them to Mike with an “eek” smiley face.  Because I would…and more often than not, we’re one and the same.  Anyway, so after sorting, the fun began and we headed to the container store and I practiced Rob’s technique of purchasing what I needed without looking at the price.  That’s hard for me, but I did it!

And I’m happy to report our results:

2

3

I love it.  And it’s been almost a week and it’s still clean.  I may or may not have threatened each person in our house about placing things back where they belong, but I’m not above that.  It is working.

I think my favorite addition is the lazy susan in each corner.  I still have one more to buy and one more soup can holder to buy, but otherwise it’s done.  I think Rob’s favorite part is my labeling, or more so, my choice for words.  I have a bin labeled “Indulgent Snacks” not to be confused with “Snacks”.  The difference is that the kids can eat of the snack bins.  My precious chocolates and treats that they will not enjoy any more or less than an M&M are in the “indulgent” bin.  Plus, it makes me feel like I shouldn’t eat too many of them.  It’s a nutrition program AND a pantry!

If you have any questions, please contact my designer, Kerry.  (Thanks Kerry!)

2 comments:

Sue H said...

I love it! That is a wonderful pantry.

Mom Runchey said...

looks great!!!