Monday, September 8, 2014

The Little Mermaid Jr.

I guess over a month off is a long enough hiatus.  So, as I last posted, my kids spent the majority of their summer rehearsing with the River Valley Children’s Theater to perform “The Little Mermaid Jr.” at the end of July.  The whole process was very interesting and organized.  The kids spent the first day learning a song and dance.  They spent the second day “trying out” for parts.  They had to do the song, dance, and then read some lines for the directors.  That night they were assigned parts.

Backtrack a little bit with me.  We all know Ellie loves being on a stage.  Any stage.  But Austin doesn’t seek the spotlight like that.  And Riley runs from it.  So, I wasn’t sure Austin was going to like this at all and before we signed him up I went over the various “boy” parts that would be available.  Sebastian, Prince Eric, King Triton, Flounder, Grimsby, Chef Louie,….  He ended giving a shrug and saying “Okay, I’ll try it. I just do NOT want to be Grimsby”.

Fast forward to the cast list.  Austin Runchey……Grimsby.  Too his credit he just laughed.

Ellie was awarded the part of Gull #1 (one of Skuttle’s friends) and Riley was given Princess #2 (and various sea creatures and ‘the wind’).

Rehearsals were closed so I only ever saw about 3 minutes each day I picked them up.  But finally the show dates were here!  We went with my sisters family and my parents on Friday night, opening night.  Despite the microphones not working, and not being able to hear most of Austin’s lines, I was so proud of them!  I didn’t know what to expect from the group for 5 weeks of work, but I was really impressed with what they did!  And of course, I thought all my kids were awesome, but I was really excited about Austin’s performance.  He had quite a few lines to remember, and even a little song to sing (by himself) and he did it all wonderfully!  Riley went out and did her lines and roles without trouble and Ellie shined as a seagull!

1

I never did get a great picture of them in their costumes (which were far more elaborate than I thought they’d be!).

I ended up going back for Saturday night with my brother’s family:

2

And then figured I might as well finish off the trifecta by attending Saturday afternoon’s show too. 

I’m fairly certain Riley’s theatrical days are over.  She was a trooper but it just wasn’t her thing.  I do think that Ellie and Austin will try again next year if the show interests them.  There have been rumors of Annie and that makes Ellie really excited.  Stay tuned…

No comments: