Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Austin’s Birthday!

Where did the time go?  This summer went so fast and before I knew it, it was already Austin’s birthday!  As usual, we made the day all about him.  And since I happen to think he is a pretty awesome kid, with awesome ideas, we had a pretty awesome day.

Rob had to work, being a Tuesday and all, but we made plans for him to meet up with us later.  Austin chose to go to the ZRS Fossil store in the morning.  We had been there once before, but we were rushed.  This morning we had more time!  Also, Austin chose to receive money for his birthday, rather than a bunch of little gifts.  So, he made the store clerks day when he walked into the store and announced “It’s my birthday and I have $50 to spend!”  What he failed to tell the guy was that he was not spending all $50 in that store, he had other plans for most of the money.  But, the clerk probably spent over an hour with him showing him all the cool fossils and rocks in the store.  The majority were way out of Austin’s price range (even if he chose to spend all $50) so I know the guy was just showing him to be nice.

1

And, as you can probably see, the store contains a myriad of fragile items so I spent my time making sure the girls were not touching every shiny object in sight.  I’d say we left with our pockets a little lighter…but since we were buying rocks, that wasn’t the case.

Afterwards, per Austin’s request, we headed to Boston Market where we met up with Rob.  Austin and I had recently gone here for our date night and he loved it.  I told you he was awesome!  One of my favorite fast restaurants too, but one I rarely go to anymore.

After we stuffed ourselves with mashed potatoes and gravy we headed back to our stomping grounds and Shakopee’s SandVenture pool.  We spent our time building sand castles and swimming. It was a beautiful day for this!

2

We capped off the night with a family dinner at Lion’s Tap, where they stuck a candle in his burger and sang. He was terribly embarrassed by that but that’s good for him!  Once we got home Rob and Austin had a nerf gun battle before bed.

A week later we had his friends over for his birthday party.  Instead of spending the money to play laser tag or something like that, we decided to have his friends over to our house for a nerf gun war and campout.  For about half the price of those party places, I bought each boy a smaller nerf gun and we set up some wood barricades in our backyard (they were thrown out of the basement during the flood so we put them to use before we threw the away!).  This was the easiest birthday party ever.  They played non-stop!  Inside to eat pizza for  20 minutes and then back out.  I think Rob had just as much fun as the kids.  He was marveled by what great snipers they were.

3

4

I finally got the tent set up around 9pm and after an outdoor movie (The Avengers) I think they went to bed around 1am.  There were quite a few boys going in and out of our house all night.  Bathroom breaks.  I told Rob it would have been easier to rent a port-a-potty.  But, I think it was also a lot of “nerves” as it was a first sleepover for a handful of the kids, and a first camp out for many as well.  All in all, a great party.

Happy Birthday Austin!

No comments: