Monday, November 5, 2012

Halloween 2012

No matter how much I try to plan ahead, Halloween always seems to sneak up on me and the whole night is a mad dash.

Riley had preschool on Halloween but she spent an hour of her day at a party. 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

She has a pretty fun class.  They sang some songs for us, and recited some spooky poems.  Riley is far from the “ham” that Ellie was, but at home she loves to sing the songs for us.  She is the youngest kid in her class but they are a very nice group of kids.

I thought I was ahead of the game because we actually carved the pumpkins the night before.  Usually this is part of the mad dash.  We quick gut them and cut out some eyes and called it good.  This year we let the kids think about their designs and help with the scooping (of which only Riley would participate.  The other two deemed it gross).

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

From left to right we have:  Austin’s Iron Man, Ellie’s spooky face*, and Riley’s scary face.

*Ellie was not happy with the results and after this picture was taken I had to re-cut the eyes to make them spookier.

And before we knew it trick or treaters were at our door and we were scrambling to get our costumes on.  I barely got a picture at all, but certainly not a good one.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Ellie was a princess riding a unicorn (unicorn represent for the 3rd year in a row!).  Riley was a cowgirl riding a horse (last minute, of course, I asked my mom to make her a cowgirl vest…it was done the next morning!).  Austin was Snake Eyes from GI Joe.  He had a mask to go with this, but he has literally worn this costume every day for over a month.  The mask broke in half as he walked out the door.  Bad timing but he was a good sport about it.

Our other trick or treaters were Addie (Juliet from “Gnomeo and Juliet” and I could have watched her toddle around all night!) and Ava…aka the Little Mermaid.

I took the kids this year and Rob stayed back to hand out candy.  It was a beautiful night and I didn’t have to carry anyone at any point this year!  They’re growing up! 

As I have trained them, my children immediately handed over all their Snickers upon arriving home.  I subjected each and every one to a safety check which included a full taste test.  They were good (and safe).

No comments: