Sunday, October 28, 2012

It’s not If, it’s When…

That’s what our pediatrician always said about a broken bone with kids.  We thought her premonition came true on Friday night. 

The kids were all playing and horsing around and then Rob caught a glimpse of what happened right before Riley came running screaming.  Austin was pulling on her arm to get her out from behind our big blue chair (a common play place).  She would not stop screaming and wouldn’t let anyone touch her arm.  Yet, at the same time, she’sd calm down completely until someone tried to touch her arm again.  We figured instead of rushing to Urgent Care we’d give her some time and observe her to see if she was truly hurt or just exaggerating. 

Rob set her up in our bed with a movie and some fake medicine and she contentedly watched “Pound Puppies” for about 30 minutes when I went to check on her.  She was in good spirits and said “Okay Mom! I’m ready to go to the doctor” but she said it with the enthusiasm of a kid about to go to Disney World so I figured she was semi-faking the pain.  So, I asked her if I could see her arm.  I barely touched it and she exploded into another round of blood curdling screams so we decided I should take her to the Urgent Care

The triage nurse said it looked like it had a tiny bit of deformity so we’d have to be admitted into the ER (vs. Urgent Care).  The ER doctor told me it was probably Nurse Maid’s Elbow and attempted to pop it back into joint (during which Riley screamed and vomited in her mouth!) before he examined it closely and decided maybe she did break it.  Then an X-ray tech came with her machine.  Riley was positive no one else should touch her so I was suited up with a vest, plus another X-ray tech was called in.  We eventually got the pictures they needed and the x-ray techs said they’d bet money it was broken.  Thirty minutes later the doctor came back and said the x-rays were clean and there was no visible break.  Then we waited almost 2 hours for Ibuprofren.  Finally a splint was put on her.  Then right before she left, they got us some Ibuprofren.  Gee, thanks.

So, Riley has spent the last 2 days not moving her arm at all.  I asked her if I could take a picture of it and she gave me this:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Then I thought there was a glare from the window so I switched spots and asked again if I could take a picture of her splint and I got this:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Clearly she’s conflicted on how she should be feeling. 

We have taken the splint off now.  She still will not use her arm, but there are glimmers of hope that she will soon forget and get on with her rough housing.

In the meantime, we’ll still wait for the “when” and hope it remains an “if”.

No comments: