Friday, August 10, 2012

My Big Weekend!

Last weekend, Saturday, was my big day of the summer.  Right at the end of May I signed up to do the Lakefront Days Triathlon in Prior Lake.  It was appealing because it was close to home and cheap (compared to others).  It also seemed “doable”.  A .25 mile swim, a 13.5 mile bike ride, and a 3.5 mile run. 

I got to the race at about 6:30 am and set up my transition area, got all marked up with a Sharpie, checked out the lake temp and then sat and waited for over an hour until the race started.  Finally it was time for my wave to go.  I decided to start as close to the front of the group as possible in the swimming portion.  You start in knee deep water and they count down from 10 and you’re off!  I felt pretty good about my swim.  I didn’t have any of the common fears everyone told me about swimming in a large group in the lake so that was good.  I did have trouble passing the one lady in front of me.  I got kicked in the head during one attempt (not on purpose!) and then just decided that I’d be fine coming in behind her.  My swim time wasn’t quite what I hoped for at 9:03 but I did place well in my age group and 61st out of 280 so that was good.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I had a bit of trouble in the transition areas trying to get socks on my wet sticky feet but pretty soon I was on my way to the bike portion.  Biking is what I struggle with the most.  I don’t have a road bike.  I have a mountain bike that I recently put thinner tires on.  It’s still rather like driving a tank down the road.  But, I’m not sure if a road bike would really make that much difference or not.  I’m not a strong biker.  I ended up doing my bike portion in 50:55 (200/280…yikes!).  But, I will mention that after all my training I was expecting at least an hour on the bike so I did better than I thought I would!

On to the run!  I wasn’t sure what to expect on the run.  During training I found that it was easier for me to run after a nice long bike ride, but I had never done all 3 things consecutively so I was wondering if my body would be physically done before the run was.  But, I was pleasantly surprised and I did my 3.5 miles in 29:33.  My fastest run yet.  Something to be said for adrenaline I guess!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

My overall time (including all those pesky transitions I fumbled through) was 1:33:16.  My goal was 1:45 so I was happy with my results.  And, yes, now I’ve got the bug.  I’m sure I’ll be back next year to see if I can beat my times.  Hopefully I’ll be able to shave some time off my bike ride and transitions.  If I improve in the other areas that’d be fine too!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I had a most excellent cheering squad!  Thanks to Rob, they were in all the right places at all the right times!

7 comments:

The Pats said...

Whew! I got tired out just reading everything you did. Congratulations on completing and finishing ahead of your estimated times too!

Kerry said...

Whoo Hoo!! I think it's AWESOME that you did all that - very inspiring!

Carol said...

Great job Tracy!

Dad said...

I'll be your swimming coach again next year.

Linda said...

Congrats!! Great job!

Patti said...

Way to go Tracy--I'm sure next year will be even better. You and Rob are so good to keepso physically fit. Maybe this will give me the push I need to get walking again. Love, Patti

Sheri said...

Wow Tracy, you look amazing, and it's so impressive that you have had three kiddos and are still physically fit enough to do a marathon! Great job!! I have no doubt that you'll get out there next year and do even better....WOW!