Sunday, July 1, 2012

Pickers

Since we don’t have cable at our house, we get pretty excited when we find a good show to watch on Netflix.  The kids always have their favorite cartoons (as of last week it’s been Power Rangers…blech!), but Rob and I like it when we find a show we both like, and as a bonus, a show the kids can watch too.  It’s how we unwind after a long day.  Anyway, around March we stumbled upon American Pickers.

In case you’re not familiar with it, it’s about a couple of guys from Iowa that drive around digging through people’s backyard “junkyards” trying to find valuable items they can turn around and sell.  It’s interesting to see what they can make a profit off of and they are kind of quirky with their commentary so that’s fun too.  Anyway, Austin loved watching this show (we have since finished every episode on Netflix) and has told us several times that when he grows up he wants to be a “Picker”.

The day after school got out he suggested we watch an episode together and then we were talking about where he’s going to “pick” when he grows up and he said he wasn’t sure of any areas around here.  The conversation kept going and eventually I suggested he write to Mike Wolfe, one of the main guys on the show.  Personally, I just saw it as a good way to get him to work on his handwriting, which desperately needs some attention (but I can’t think of one reason a “picker” would need good handwriting).  But, Austin spent a LONG time thinking through his letter and writing it all out.  I thought I made a copy of it, but I can’t find it…it went something like this:

Dear Mr. Wolf,

My name is Austin.  I am 6 years old.  I want to be a picker.  What are some good places to pick?  I also like Star Wars.  How does a kids become a Picker?  I really like your show.

Your friend,

Austin Runchey

It might have had a few other key facts, but that was the gist of it.  I found Mike’s address online and off it went!

That was a month ago.  Just this past week Austin (in that random little head of his) said “Mom, when is Mike Wolfe going to write me back?”.  I felt bad because he really spent a lot of time on that letter and was very excited and proud of it, and I had no idea if Mike Wolfe even had time to write to fans.

Well, lo and behold, when we got back from Iowa tonight, there was a package at our door for Austin:

1

Can you tell he was excited?

2

“To Austin, Sweet Pickin’!”  Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz

He wants to hang it up in his room.  He’s thinking about the perfect place.  In the meantime, he’s thinking his new best friends probably want a picture of him so he’ll include one in his next letter.  Look for Austin’s appearance on the History Channel’s “American Pickers” (in 20 years).

3 comments:

Grandma R. said...

That's so cool--Bet Austin will make a great "Picker". Love, Grandma R.

PS--Thanks for a great family weekend and all you and Rob did to make it happen. Love, Mom

Sheri said...

Austin absolutely cracks me up! Just watch, he will be famous some day. ;)

The Pats said...

Patrick introduced me to this show today; it's definitely a "guy" show. Austin will become a great negotiator while he's out picking.