Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Dinosaur Week

I decided that this summer I was going to try to be more prepared with things to do on a daily basis.  My plan is to have “theme weeks”.  Some, I think, may be easier than others, but I have them all planned out for the 11 weeks of summer and our kickoff was this week!  Dinosaur Week!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It started off when I met this little guy on my way to the garbage cans in the morning.  I almost stepped on him.  But he was so cute that I had to interrupt breakfast to show everyone.  Austin and Riley both wanted to hold him but Ellie wanted no part of this distraction from her pancakes.  We did some research, and as it turns out, frogs were around in the time of the dinosaurs, but were not related to them.  So…onto the dinosaurs.

We spent about an hour digging through Austin’s dinosaur books and reading about the Mesozoic era and the three time periods in that era (Jurassic, Triassic, Cretaceous).  Then we talked a little about paleontologists.  Then it was on to our first fun activity….pretending we were paleontologists!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I bought a dinosaur digging kit.  Basically, a chunk of plaster with some plastic bones hidden inside.  They had to chisel out the bones and brush them off.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It was messy, hot, and took close to two hours.  The kids drifted in and out of their urge to participate throughout the 2 hours.  Riley, surprisingly, was the most determined.  We finally extracted all our bones.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Everyone had a chance to put a few of the pieces together.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And, our finished product:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It was definitely a fun addition to our week!

Today, we spent a couple hours doing worksheets…but they were dinosaur related!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

A friend, Sheri, told me about this fantastic website where the lady just happened to have put together an awesome array of dinosaur worksheets!  They were just right for the girls and pretty easy for Austin, but what kid doesn’t like feeling like the smartest kid on the block?  So, he didn’t complain.  And I won’t complain either because they were busy doing educational things for over an hour!

We had to end dinosaur week a bit early because I am taking the kids camping tomorrow, but it was a great start to our summer of fun!

1 comment:

Sheri said...

That dinosaur block is so awesome! I would have liked it at my age!! Glad that the work sheets worked out too. Have a great weekend. :)