Tuesday, April 3, 2012

San Diego–Day 4

Day 4 brought us to Sea World.  I chose to leave Sea World for Monday in hopes of it being less crowded on a weekday.  It wasn’t bad at all so I think it worked.  Sea World is only about 10 minutes from Carrie’s apartment and they didn’t open until 10am so we had plenty of time in the morning to get ready. I went for a nice walk in the morning for a Starbucks.  I love walking in her neighborhood in the morning.  So pretty and peaceful!

We got to Sea World a little before it opened.  Right when we got inside we found out the Dolphin exhibit is closed for repairs so my plan to feed the dolphins was foiled.  We chose to feed the Sea Lions instead.  I read somewhere that you should do this first thing in the morning because the animals are good and hungry and willing to try a bit harder (get a bit closer) for their fishy treats.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I don’t know what they were…little frozen fish of some kind.  But, the birds in the area sure knew what we had in our little trays and if you didn’t guard them with your life they were not shy about taking them right out of your hand.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Ellie only wanted to touch a few of the fish, but this one was waiting for Riley’s fish for quite some time.  The kids had a lot of fun doing this.

After feeding the sea lions and checking out the schedule of shows, we decided we had some time to explore before getting in line for a show.  Sea World has a huge Sesame Street play area.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Rob and the kids climbed around in those nets for awhile and then came down and jumped on the giant pillow for awhile.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Austin also tried out those swinging bags in the background of this picture.  After that, it was just about time to get seats for our first show, but we took a pit stop to see the Sea Turtles first.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Our first show was Shamu.  I’ve been to Sea World a handful of times in my life, mostly in high school with various band trips, and I have to say, I’m pretty sure this show has not changed a bit in 15 years.  Except that the trainers no longer get in the water with the orcas.  Still, they are always a sight to see!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

From here on out, I really didn’t take many pictures.  I think I was sick of having the camera out.  But, we went to the Sea Lion show (which I think, was a family favorite.  Very funny!), and we also went to the dolphin show.  This one has changed since I last saw it.  It has dolphins and birds in it.  And it was also kind of theatrical with people dressed up as birds doing acrobatics and high diving.  It was pretty cool and I think the kids really liked it.  Riley was a little preoccupied with thoughts of her next stuffed animal purchase so she asked after every act if that was the end, but I think she liked it nonetheless.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

In addition to meditating, I guess Austin is also a bit hippy.

That night everyone was really tired.  Also, that night Carrie came back into town.  She stayed at her friends place our last night in her apartment, but I did get to meet her for dinner which was really nice.  We went to a yummy mexican restaurant that I’ll be sure to visit during my next stay in San Diego.

Only one day left of the trip!

No comments: