Monday, April 2, 2012

San Diego–Day 3

Day 3 was Sunday.  And just like on Day 2, our kids were up right before 6am.  They never did adjust to the 2 hour time change.  For Sunday’s activities we had planned on the Zoo Safari Park and the Birch Aquarium.  The Safari Park is not to be confused with the regular San Diego Zoo.  After doing some research and talking to other families that have recently been to the San Diego, I decided we would skip the zoo, and instead focus on the Safari Park (located about 40 minutes from Carrie’s).  The reason I decided this is because my kids and I go to the MN zoo all the time.  They love it, but because they see these animals in a traditional zoo setting so often, I just didn’t think they would think the San Diego zoo was all that special.  If we ever go back, we’ll try it out, but due to the time constraints on our 3 day pass, it just wasn’t in the works this trip.

The Safari Park is run by the zoo, but tries to emulate the animals natural habitats much more closely.  The animals are given a wider berth to run in and many of the animals that can be (ex: herbivores) are contained together as they would be in the wild. 

The lady who took our tickets advised us to go directly to the tram tour first thing.  She said a line would form soon and if we went right away, we could avoid the line.  Sounded good to me!  There are several safari options that cost extra and get you a bit closer to the animals, but we opted for the traditional (and included) tram ride.  It was more like a jungle trolley.  We saw a lot of animals we don’t get to see at the MN Zoo, like giraffes, cheetahs, wildebeests, and rhinos.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I’m not sure why Ellie was so grumpy at the start of our safari, but she definitely was (as the picture represents).

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This rhino is a white northern rhino and apparently there are only 8 of them left in the world.  I guess we were lucky to see one before they go extinct!

As for the rest of the Safari Park, I felt it had a lot of potential, but it was a crazy, jumbled mess.  A million paths leading in different direction.  And, if you decided to leave your stroller outside one attraction, it seemed the end of the attraction dumped you off no where near your stroller.  It was a bit frustrating.  Actually, we missed out on some of the cooler animals (elephants for one) because by the end of our time there we just couldn’t be bothered to find our way through one more maze.  Lazy I guess.

We did go into a Butterfly garden.  For those of you who know about my irrational fear of butterflies, yes, I went in too.  Yes, I realize they are beautiful, harmless creatures.  But, if you look really close at them, and I have, they just look like a bug. I don’t like bugs.  What makes butterflies worse than other bugs to me is their random flight pattern.  I just think they are creepy.  But, alas, I went in with the family.  Within a minute a butterfly landed on Rob’s backpack.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

There were thousands of these brown butterflies everywhere.  When they fly they have a very pretty blue color on their wings.  I mostly concentrated on my feet while I shuffled through the area.  Turns out my kids aren’t that keen on the beasts either.  We probably went through the display in record time.

After lunch, we checked out the bats.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

These two were the cutest there.

A highlight for our kids was the petting area.  It was filled with goats while we were there, but someone near me said they change out the animals throughout the day.  My children had no fear about the goats.  I’m certain I wouldn’t have been the same way at their age (I know that’s shocking considering I’m spooked by a butterfly).

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We spent about 5 hours at the Safari Park before we called it a day and headed to the Birch Aquarium.  I didn’t take any pictures at the aquarium, but it was a nice smaller place with a absolutely beautiful view of the ocean.  It was pretty windy the day we were there so we didn’t linger long.  I think we were all tired from the safari park and were ready to head back to the apartment.

Ellie got ahold of my camera after dinner and the rest of the pictures are from her. 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

(This is Austin meditating on me….I told you…everywhere!)

It was a busy day 3 and I think we all fell asleep pretty fast.  After all, day 4 was going to start at 6am!

No comments: