Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sever’s Corn Maze

When Ellie was just a baby, and Austin was 2, Rob and I attempted to take the kids to Sever’s Corn Maze for some fall fun.  When we got to the gates (via a very muddy trek) we realized for our family to get in would be near $40, we turned around and went home.

This year I found a Groupon to get our whole family in for $25 so we decided to try again.  We went last Sunday.  It was a perfect day for some outdoor fall fun!  I had done my research so I sort of knew what to expect but Rob was pleasantly surprised at all Sever’s had to offer.

We started off with the “Jumpy Pillows”.  Kind of like the bounce castles…only huge pillows.  It was a long wait to get their turn (from a kids perspective) but I think they thought it was worth it.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Austin was all over the place but the girls mostly stayed in the middle and just concentrated on staying standing. 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Well, Riley might have concentrated a bit harder on tackling Ellie.

After the Bounce Pillows we headed to the corn pit.  Appropriately named as it was a HUGE pit filled with seed corn.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

At first just the kids and I went in, but Rob eventually joined us once he saw how much fun we were having.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We buried everyone a couple times.  Riley did some “corn angels”.  I think the kids would have stayed in there for a much longer time but eventually the dust was getting to me and we left for the next adventure.

Up next was the hay bale maze.  Only, none of the kids had any interest in treating it as a maze.  Mostly, like everyone else there, they just wanted to jump from one bale to the next.  Austin made it look really easy but the girls were quite challenged to make these leaps.  They were so proud of themselves after every leap.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

After jumping around for a bit, we headed to the exotic animals area to check out kangaroos, porcupines, emus, zebras, and lemurs…among other things.  Next to the exotic animals you could shoot cobs of corn at some targets.  Rob helped each of the kids give it a shot:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Finally it was off to the main attraction, the corn maze.  Although it’s what draws people to Sever’s, it was the kids least favorite part of our trip.  I suppose walking through a bunch of corn really doesn’t sound very fun.  Rob and I had fun trying to follow our path on their maps.

After the corn maze it was back for more hay bale jumping and some snacks.  Austin declared the corn on the cob “the best he’s ever had in his whole life”.  I declare his standards are pretty low and he must have slept through our other meals this summer that included corn on the cob.

All in all we had a really great time.  I wouldn’t pay full price, but if you can find a deal, it’s worth it.  Except that I’m still finding corn kernels in my washing machine.

1 comment:

david.infanger said...

Funny story, true story, Tbone: I used to pick corn at Sever's farm when I was about 13. We'd bag it for Red Owl, and had to wake up at 3:30am to get there in time. I lasted all of one week.