Saturday, November 13, 2010

Hello Snow!

We woke up to a winter wonderland (like the rest of MN).  It sent me into a tizzy to try to find snow gear for everyone.  I know snow was in the forecast, but I was a doubting Thomas.  Or, I thought it would be an inch that melted immediately.  At least 3 inches of the heavy white stuff has now made me a believer.

So, for my children, with current shoe sizes of 12.5, 7, and 7.  I have snow boots that are sizes 11, 9, and 6.  Thankfully everyone's snow pants still fit from last year.  The only other gear we had to improvise on was mittens.  Everyone wore mittens too small and had to double up on them to make them a bit more water proof or warm.

But, by 9:45 or so we were outside in the best gear we could muster. 

When Riley flashed me this smile I was hopeful that her days of hating being outside in the snow were over.
 This was her first, and last smile.  The happiness was quickly replaced with pleas to "Hold me!".

Austin and Ellie both got down to business of tromping through all the fresh snow.
 Then Ellie got down to the business of eating all the snow.  She did this all last year and she picked up right where she left off.
We threw together a quick snowman, went down our little sledding hill, played "follow the tracks", and played on the swingset.

Once we were all thoroughly drenched, and once my back was near the breaking point from holding a heavy wet Riley for over an hour, we all headed in.

Now we're munching on chex mix, drinking hot cocoa, and watching Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer!

Our gear is in the dryer getting ready for round 2!

No comments: