Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Happy Meal = Happy Mom

Rob just got from Argentina.  He was there for 2 weeks.  I didn't have a mental breakdown until Day 9.  Not bad.  And, my parents must have used their "Spidey-sense" because they came to my rescue that very night with a surprise invitation to dinner.  When I told them it was my hardest day yet they offered to take the kids a couple days later for a whole 24 hours!!!!  All of the sudden there was a light at the end of this travel tunnel and all was well with my world again.  Aren't they the best?

Anyway, the point of this post is to tell you to rush out to McDonald's and get your kids a happy meal.  If you know me at all, you know I'm frugral.  Typically, when I offer the kids McD's I order two 6 piece nuggets, two medium fries, and a plain cheeseburger.  This gets split up at home and we are all fed for under $9.  However, Rob told me via web chat (just before he dined on his 23rd steak) to just do whatever I had to do to make it through the last week. 

Well, what I had to do was take the kids to McDonald's for real happy meals.  I usually forgo the happy meals not only because they cost more, but also because I don't want more cheap toys laying around the house.  However, this month, the Happy Meal came in a Halloween bucket with some silly Mr. Potato Head stickers.  No toy.  My kids LOVED this.

The rule is that you have to finish your food before you get your toy (or bucket in this case) and we were having a late night so by the time we got home it was 8:30pm and the kids went to bed with a promise of Happy Meal toys first thing in the morning.


Yes, first thing.  Including hair.

This easily kept my kids busy for 45 minutes.  Far longer than they ever would have played with one of the usual toys.

It's exactly the kind of morning I needed to get me through the last day before Rob got back!  Thumbs up McDonald's.

No comments: