Thursday, July 22, 2010

Captain Rex Cake

I'm sure you'll all be shocked to know that Austin wanted a Star Wars themed birthday party.  After a short google search, I found a couple examples of cakes made by people that resembled Captain Rex's helmet.  I forwarded the ideas to Rob who gave me an enthusiastic "Yes!" to make the cake.

On the day before the party I tried to convince Rob that instead of making a 3D helmet, we should just make a 9x13 cake and cut it into the shape of a 2D helmet and go from there.  Rob is a "go big, or go home" kind of guy, so he said he would make the cake.  I agreed.  I would bake the actual pieces he needed and that night, he would create the masterpiece.

Here is what he started with:

Four 9 inch cakes and 1 cake I baked in a bowl.

First, he stacked them:

Next he frosted:

Then he carefully plotted out his design plan with a walnut pick.  Nothing but the best of tools for us.

Oh, and you want to know what he was using as his "model"?

That's the helmet off of Austin's Captain Rex action figure next to a small size paper clip.

With the finishing touches yet to be added to the helmet we debated on whether or not we needed to make that attena thing on the right side of Captain Rex's head.  In the end we decided Austin would notice and while Rob finished up his job, I set out to create an antenna.

At 10:45pm, here was the finished product:

It took up almost half our fridge.  I was too scared to get the milk out of the fridge, lest I somehow knock over the cake, so the kids were spoiled with juice all day!  When Austin woke up I was eager to show him what his dad was able to create.  Austin looked at the cake, dropped his jaw in awe and abruptly said "Hey, where's his antenna?" It was on the counter to be added later.  Do we know our son, or what!

It was a hit come party day! 

No details were left out!

And a back view:

It looks like I am off cake duty from now on!

4 comments:

Sheri P. said...

Awesome.....simply awesome!!!

Sue H said...

Great job, Rob!!! I think we have a new Ace of Cakes.

Carol said...

What a great Dad you are Rob and quite artistic, the cake is fabulous!

Jane said...

Very cool, but I have no idea who Captain Rex is. Can you tell I have girls???