Saturday, May 22, 2010

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

I have see all sorts of furniture transformations on the web.  People go to garage sales or Goodwill and find old pieces of furniture for $5 and then transform them with a little paint and new hardware.  I'd been dying to give this a try, only there isn't really any place in our house that needs furniture.  Still, a few weeks ago Kerry and I went to Goodwill to see if there were any treasures in Shakopee.  I found this mirror.

At $15, it was more than I was hoping, but otherwise it was exactly what I was looking for.  I'm trying to decorate our bedroom little by little.  I had big plans for this mirror and all of it's little details.

First, I spray painted it turquoise.  Our bedrrom is a brown and teal type color. 

Next, I planned on glazing it to make all the minute details pop a bit more.  Kerry told me not to buy glaze because had enough to last a lifetime.  Since I had never glazed anything I waited for Kerry to come and supervise.  When she showed up she declared "I've never done this before!"  (I'm not sure what she was doing with a quart of glaze).  So, we played it by ear and wiped it on and then wiped it off.  I think we went around the mirror with about 3 coats of glaze.  We ended up with this:

Just enough to tone down the color a bit and blend it in with the rest of the room. 

I have plans for the rest of the room too, including paint, but for now I'm  happy with my first Goodwill transformation.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Yay! It's up!!! I love it there! And I like that it was put up horizontal...did we try that? Love it! It goes perfect with your blanket!