Thursday, May 20, 2010

Kill 'em with Kindness

This morning didn't start out quite how I'd like.  For starters, Ellie awoke at 4:45am moaning.  That's what she does.  She lays in her room and moans.  She gets louder and louder until someone finally goes in to retrieve her.  It's annoying.  At 4:45 am, it's really annoying.  I did my best to ignore her and was semi-successful until Riley started chirping "Mommy...Mommy Daddy...Mommy..." at 5:15.  She has a stuffy nose and has been having trouble sleeping so I went to her room and brought her back to bed with me in hopes of her going back to sleep.  It sort of worked.  She slept.  I didn't.  At 6:15 I was getting a serious cramp in my neck from the way Riley was laying on me and I gave in and grabbed Ellie on my way down the stairs.  The rest of the gang woke up shortly after that, and the morning only got worse.  Cereal was dumped (on purpose) on the floor.  Granola bars were thrown.  Everything was uttered with a whine.  I was ready to call it a day before 7am.  No one's yelling (including my own) was solving anything so I decided to go with a new plan.  Kill 'em with kindness.  I called a friend and we all went here:

Chutes and Ladders, in Bloomington.  It was the perfect time of day because at 8:30am, most kids are just waking up and eating breakfast.  Not us.  We are running around parks. 

Riley has a few quirks.  She insisted on wearing this backpack for most of our stay. 

We had the park to ourselves so I wasn't too worried about keeping everyone in my view at all times.  But when I made the rounds on the older two I turned back around to Riley to find her here:

She was doing awesome, but it still made me a little nervous (it was probably 8 feet high) so I took her with me back to the toddler area.  We stayed at the park until about 11:30 and then we hit up McDonald's on the way home.  When we got home, it was still 45 minutes until nap time so I set up the pool and everyone went swimming.

Another quirky Riley moment.  She had to have this hat on at all times.  I don't even know where she got it.  I think it is our neighbor's.

After only 15 minutes Austin declared he just wanted to rest in the sun because he was all worn out.  (Bwah-ha-ha...[evil  hand rubbing] my plan is working!).  Of course, pesky sisters do not allow older brothers to rest.

"Hi Austin!  It's me your favorite cold and clammy little sister!"

This went over really well.

The girls reluctantly took naps from 1:30-3:30 when I woke them up and dragged them back outside.  Austin stayed outside during naptime and played with his friend Mia.  He came in for dinner around 6pm.  Therefore, he was outside from 8:30am-6pm and the girls only had a 2 hour nap.  If these children do not sleep well (and long) tonight, I give up.

1 comment:

The Pats said...

Tracy, when did you take your nap? I got worn out just reading this. What a fun day for the kids though.