Friday, April 30, 2010

Backup has arrived!

Update:  This morning the best husband in the world, and his trusty sidekick, went and got donuts and Caribou for me and brought me breakfast in bed.  I was told to eat up and shower because I had a spa appointment at 9am!  Life is good.

This past week Rob was working in Canada.  It's been awhile since he has had to travel for a solid week.  He was gone for a single night last week in Florida, and that one night was a little bit rough, so I wasn't sure what he was going to come back to after a whole week away.

However, I'm happy to report that everyone is just fine...especially me!  In fact, interesting things hapened while Rob was away.  For starters, my kids slept in.  There were a couple hiccups here and there (like the party Riley threw in her crib at 1am with her stuffed animals), but my children, who normally start waking at 5:45, slept until 7, sometimes 7:15am!  It was one of those moments, as a mom, where you think "should I check on them....I wonder if they're still breathing.....nah, who am I kidding, I'm not going to check on them!" and then you start that thought process over again in 10 minutes.

The other major difference was the amount of laundry I had waiting for me.  On more than one occasion I would wander into the laundry room ready to tackle a load or two only to find I didn't need to.  I'm not sure what Rob does to create so much laundry, but what I thought was the kids' issue, really is my husband.  Good thing I love him.  He's worth an extra load or two.

We filled our days with playing outside, we packed lunches and headed to the zoo one day, we had playdates with neighbors, we hit a couple parks, I bribed Austin one afternoon while the girls were sleeping with a new Lego Star Wars set (best $10 I've ever spent), and I'd like to go on record that they ate hot dogs only once the whole week, we never went to a McDonalds, and pancakes were never served for dinner.  All of those are usually incorporated into our meal plan when Rob is traveling.

After staying home with these little rascals 24 hours a day as a single parent, I can't think of anything better than a nice relaxing bubble bath. 

Unfortunately, there are three dirty kids in my tub.

No comments: