Monday, March 15, 2010

A nerd after my own heart

For years I have been dubbed (by my brother and sister) as the "nerd" of our family.  I have openly accepted this label, as I believe its' origin is envy.  I mean, who wouldn't want to purposefully infect raw meat with E.coli O157:H7 and work in a lab that smells like rancid meat all day?

Last night I observed my successor in all her glory.

Did you know that March 14th is referred to as "Pi Day"?  I did not.  Maddie did.  To celebrate, her class was going to eat pie and have a contest to see who could recite pi to the most decimals!  I couldn't think of a better way to spend March 14th if I tried.  Well, no that's not true.  I'm not that nerdy, but I thought it was a great idea for a classroom and I was on board.  Prior to last night, I only new pi to the 7th decimal.  It has never been a goal of mine to learn any more than that.

Maddie however, Maddie soaked up this challenge with bounding enthusiasm.  Literally.  She was bouncing around my parents house reciting pi with every leap.  She was out of breath, rolling around on the floor, she was literally delirious with her eagerness to get to the next decimal place.

When we left my parents house last night, she was able to recite pi to the 50th decimal.  I couldn't have been more proud.  My little nerd protegee.

And, because I thought it was interesting, check this out!

Near a Raven

It is a poem.  Only, the poem, when "decoded" gives you the digits of pi to the 740th decimal place!  Amazing!

Happy Pi Day! (a day late).

6 comments:

Meggan said...

So did Maddie win?

Tracy said...

She blew away any competition! The next highest digit was the 15th decimal....she almost quadrupled that!

Meggan said...

Sounds just like you!

Dan said...

There are more digits to pi then 3.14??????????? Who knew........

More importantly who is impressed that I knew pi was 3.14 without looking it up....

Kerry said...

Dan...you did look it up, didn't you.?.

It's almost embarrassing being the sister of such a nerd. But being the mother of one? Awesome. :)

Sue H said...

You could only call me a nerd if it was spelled p-i-e. Then you'd have my full attention!