Monday, February 15, 2010

Sock Monsters

I got a crazy idea from some internet reading I was doing the other day.  Someone (and if I remembered who, I'd link to it) made some cute little sock monsters out of...well, obviously out of socks.  Anyway, although there wasn't much in the way of directions I thought it would not be that hard to replicate and I hit up Target to purchase some knee high socks.  To my delight, they were on clearance.  After cursing my sewing machine (mostly operator error I'm sure), and then swearing under my breath about the time consuming parts, I was finally able to produce these:

That one is Austin's.

That one is Ellie's.

And, I swear that Riley has one too, but it's not finished and I didn't feel like dragging it out of hiding and taking it's picture.  Sock Monsters enjoy dark hiding places.  But, just envision something similar to the other two.

Sewing the little monsters up was really not all that difficult.  Stuffing them was time consuming.  Decorating them was the hard part.  Trying to find felt and buttons that matched the girls' socks was a pain in the rear.  It's probably why Riley's is not done yet.

But, the kids seem to like them so I guess it was all worth it.  Until Rob saw them.  Then he ruined it. 

Let me introduce you to Boba Fett:

And Jinga Fett:

Yes, Rob went and named them after Star Wars characters (and yes, I had to look up those names for spelling), and the names have stuck.  And now my cute, innocent, little sock monsters have become just one more link in the awful Star Wars craze that is taking over this house.

If/when Riley's monster does get finished, I am claiming naming rights.

No comments: