Monday, November 23, 2009

Star Wars Resurrected

It's no secret.  I'm not a very big fan of Star Wars.  Actually, I'm not a fan at all.  I didn't even see my first Star Wars movie until this past summer when we watched it outside.  I didn't walk away a convert either.

Still, I try to play Star Wars with Austin.  We check out the library books, I read him stories about Defeating (or maybe it's Defending) the Sith.  When the girls are sleeping, we have fights with our lightsabers and we blow up imaginery battle droids.  Those girls have no idea what kind of impending doom we are saving them from most afternoons.  It's not pretty.

What I'm trying to say is, despite not knowing anything about the Star Wars saga, I can hold my own with my 4 year old.  That is, I could.  Things have changed.  When Rob went hunting in West Bend a couple weekends ago, he returned with a box full of goodies.  Last night, Rob went through the giant box and carried in a smaller box full of acceptable toys for Austin.  It was a collection of Star Wars characters and ships. 



Some in better shape than others.


Austin asked Rob "Were you a little hard on these?" and Rob replied, "Yeah, maybe a little, but maybe it was Uncle Dave".  Austin said "Yeah, he's a little wrecker."

With this box of fresh "new" toys, comes a whole new learning curve for me.  I mean, I was just starting to learn what a Super Battle Droid was, and now I need to deal with things like this:


Or this:



Creepy.

As you can imagine, Austin is in heaven.  When he woke up this morning, at 6am, Rob offered him a chance to lay in our bed and watch The Grinch.  Something that is rarely, maybe never, turned down.  Austin had another idea though.  In his sleep induced growl, he said something about going downstairs to play with his Star Wars toys.  He's been at it for 2 hours now.  He asked me to join in, but I promptly was scolded for having two characters fight that are not, in fact, enemies.

I could have sworn he muttered, under his breath, "Much to learn, you still have."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The first is a Sand Person from episode 4, "A New Hope".

The second is Bib Fortuna from episode 6, "Return of the Jedi".