Thursday, October 15, 2009

Life is Short....Stay Awake for it!

Those are wise words from Caribou Coffee.  In general, I like the message they convey.  I don't believe in vegging out in front of a TV for hours on end in a zombie state.  I know they're referring to their super coffee and the caffiene perk it bestows (trust me, I know).  However, for the last few months my body has decided that between the hours of 3am and 6am is the perfect time to be wide awake.  This renders me a little bit useless each day following my early morning one woman party.

Insomnia. 

I've tried several things.  I've tried the whole tighten up your muscles and relax them from your toes to your head, but I'm far too impatient for that technique.  By the time I get to my knees, I'm done.  I've tried counting, and have had some success with this, but usually it goes a bit like this:

1, 2, 3, 4 "Oh!  I need to meet so and so at 4pm tomorrow!"....5, 6, 7 "Shoot....Austin is in charge of snacks on the 7th.  I wonder if he can bring granola bars again or if that's lame to bring the same snack twice. I should ask him what other kids bring", 8, 9, 10...

You get the point.

I've tried OTC drugs but I think they make me anxious.  Like taking one pill makes me an abuser.

I've tried tea, warm milk, reading with a soft light, not reading, music, no music. 

Caribou's right.  Life is short.  And I do want to stay awake for it....just not at 3am.

No comments: