Saturday, June 20, 2009

Dad's Day

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there!

I searched high and low to find the perfect way to show Rob how much his kiddos love him. When it comes to Dad's, he is the cream of the crop! We couldn't pick a better father for this family if we had the chance.

Most mornings Rob gets up with the early risers (usually the girls) and snuggles on the couch with them while they fully wake up. He makes his breakfast and shares the majority of it with whoever is begging for food at the moment. That makes it sound like we don't feed our kids. Don't get me wrong, I could make the exact same meal, but there is something special about Dad's oatmeal or smoothies and they would rather have his than their own. He probably walks out the door hungry most mornings after everyone has had their spoonfuls. However, there is no walking out the door until they have each had their hugs and kisses. "Huggers and Kissers" as they are affectionately referred to by Austin (and now Ellie). And after the last one, usually one more round is needed. The kids run to the window then and watch for his car to pull out so they can wave and give him a thumbs up.

Then they have to settle for me for 10 hours and I have to settle for conversations like this:
Austin: Mom, can I have my 150th cup of juice?
Me: No Austin, you've had enough.
Austin: Oh, it's okay, I will just ask my Dad. My Dad will say it's ok.

But every evening when they hear the garage door open, it is a mad dash to see who can open the garage door first to greet Rob. The whole way there they are all cheering and chanting for him. Echoes of "Daddy's Home!!!" can probably be heard down the block. Riley brings up the rear with her little belly scoot; yes, even she tries to get there to say hello. The AC in the house this summer is a nasty tease to the kids because every time it turns on they think it sounds a bit like the garage door which sends everyone reeling for the door only to be disappointed.

Once he is home, he barely has time to put his stuff down before he is bombarded with questions and requests ("Let's wrestle!" "Guess what's behind my back" "Look at me!"....etc). I've been trying for quite a few months, unsuccessfully, to video tape this so Rob can see how much his kids love him and look forward to him coming home each day. Unfortunately whenever I turn on the camcorder they freeze up.

I'm sure Rob knows how much he is adored around here, but I just thought I'd give the other readers an idea. In my kids eyes, it doesn't get much better than Dad!

No comments: