Monday, June 1, 2009

Birthday Season is here!

I have a friend who goes nuts over decorating for birthdays (or any parties for that matter). You can follow her craftiness here, and once you have picked out your favorites, you can buy them here. She puts so much effort into these parties...right down to the wardrobes! From the pictures, I don't know how the parties couldn't be fun, so she has inspired me. With everyone in the family (except me) having birthdays in the summer I have decided to make more of an effort when it comes to decorating. Keep in mind my efforts in the past have been minimal to non-existent so any effort at all is going to be a step in the right direction.


Now onto more important things: Happy Birthday Rob!
Rob always does such a nice job making my birthday special and I try to do the same for him. I contacted a former co-worker from McGladrey last month and asked him to set up a golf outing for Rob and a few others. That was his early birthday surprise on Saturday. Today he had to go to work, but he did get to sleep in as much as one can when he has to get ready for work. After he left, the kids and I got right to work. First, Austin and Ellie made him a card. Austin wanted to paint and Ellie wanted to use stickers. Then each saw the other having fun with their chosen media so they each wanted to do the opposite. We ended up with a unique 4 page conglomerate.
For lunch it was off to the mall to meet Rob. Ellie was the lucky winner of a seat next to Daddy and she did her best to smear ketchup on him throughout the meal. He caught her in the nick of time at each attempt, but I think she did manage to wipe her runny nose on his pant leg. Nice.


After naps we headed to Target where I allowed Austin to pick out a DVD for Rob. After seeing how nicely this worked out for Austin, Ellie voiced her opinion and also got to pick out a movie(for Rob of course) Their choices: Scooby-Do "Sofari, So Good!" and Wallace and Grommit "A Grand Day Out". I'm sure both were on the top of Rob's list.

It's the third Scooby-Do movie we now own. But, no problem because Rob's birthday present was a DVD Player Jukebox. I'm sure there is a more technical name for it, but the idea is that it holds 400 DVDs and we don't have to ever have to handle them again (read: No more scratched DVDs from the kids wanting to "help"). Only 397 more Scooby-Do movies to go until it's all filled up.

And, as far as my effort for decorating for birthdays goes....well, I had approximately one hour of nap time to spend on it. I whipped up a pan of rice krispie bars and made this to decorate them:


It's a start. I don't want to set the bar too high too soon.





2 comments:

murphy343 said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROB!!! Have a great day.

PM

Anonymous said...

What a sweet dad! And Tracy, your decorating is lovely. Can't wait to see what next year will bring!