Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Yellow Snow

As a stay at home mom, I struggle with winter. I dislike how long it takes me to get out of the house because I have to put so much gear on everyone. I get frustrated with wet shoes bringing dirt all over the place. Most of all, I can't stand being cooped up in the house. However, when you live in a climate that celebrates winter with below zero wind chills on a daily basis (or so it seems) there aren't many options for getting outside with small children.

If you were to take my kids out of the equation, I might even admit to liking winter. I downhill ski, I dabble with cross-country skiing, I can glide around on skates if need be. Even if my kids were older, I wouldn't mind making a snowman, going sledding, etc. But right now, I struggle.

Therefore, I made it my goal yesterday to think of something fun we could do with these snowy days when it is too cold to go outside. I was thinking back to things I did growing up. Unfortunately most of my memories just take me back to building forts and snowball fights. But, I did remember something we did in science class once. I remember it involved pouring maple syrup in the snow and then getting it later and it was like taffy. So that is what the kids and I did before lunch in hopes of having an after lunch treat.

Working off a 17 year old memory, I just poured the maple syrup in the snow and that was that.



However, that was not "that". The maple syrup did not harden into taffy, or I am not patient enough. Probably a bit of both. What we ended up with was more of a maple syrup snow cone.



But, Austin seemed to enjoy it still. Enough to lick it off the table. What kid doesn't enjoy eating snow? And yes, I was sure to clarify that not all yellow snow tastes like candy.



Incidentally, if you would like to try this at home, a quick Google search revealed you have to boil the pure maple syrup first until it reaches "soft ball" stage. Then pour it in very compact snow. (Not fluffy snow that will sink right down to your deck). That should work.
In the mean time, anyone have any other suggestions on what I can do to embrace this weather with 3 little kids/babies?

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Hi Tracy,
We called around until we found an appliance store that would give us a big box. The big box turned into a fort in the basement, and the kids colored on it and put their favorite pillows and toys in it. It used up a few hours per day of fun. Don cut a door and windows in it, and it was actually kind of cool.