Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Boys vs. Girls

At 6 months Austin could sit up and scoot around the house on his belly. When he was a little over one he could climb up on any of the furniture (regretfully). Just before his 2nd birthday he scaled the rockwall on his swingset. At 3.5, he picks up a crayon like it's a foreign object he has NEVER seen before.

This is sad for me because if I were forced to choose one children's activity to do for hours on end, coloring would be my choice. I have tried time and time again to get him to sit and color with me but he would much rather pretend the crayons are trains than actually use them to scribble on paper.

Enter Ellie. She's a natural. She can't get on the couch yet by herself (not because she hasn't tried...there's nothing she'd like more than to leap off the couch like her older brother), but that girl can color! I have been working with Austin for the last month or so on the correct way to hold a crayon, pencil, pen, fork, etc. This is what I get:


In that last photo he is literally saying "Huh?" when I asked him to hold it the way I showed him.
Ellie, on the other hand:




I didn't even show her, it's just the way she prefers to hold it. Austin starts preschool next year. Guess what the girls and I will be doing while he's away?

No comments: