Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Welcome Orion

Riley had a good night of sleeping. She ate around 7:30pm, topped off at 9:30pm with another ounce because she was really irritable and then went to bed at 10pm. She didn't wake up until 3:45am! Fantastic! But, with all that sleep, she was wide awake after I fed her. As I was laying on the couch willing her to fall back asleep I was staring out the window into the night sky. That's when I saw it. Orion. I know, I'm a self-proclaimed nerd, but Orion in a constellation that is only visible in the winter from our region. Winter, and apparently, upcoming months to winter. The fact that I can see Orion at night now means that days like yesterday are going to become a thing of the past way too soon.

The kids and I had a great time playing outside yesterday. While Riley was sleeping, Austin, Ellie, and I hung out outside to soak in some fresh air and warmth. At one point Austin had every toy we have in the garage out to play with. Ellie was content to walk around with the bucket of chalk. Stopping every so often to sit down, take all the chalk out, taste a few sticks, and put it all back in to walk someplace else. Though at one point she did more than just lick it. She actually took bites out of it. Nothing like a little calcium sulfate for a mid-day snack. (I said I was a nerd) Once chalk eating became old, we headed to the swingset. Knowing I had my camera in hand, Austin promptly ran from equipment to equipment yelling "Take a picture of me!!!" I obliged. Ellie is also getting good at climbing up to the tower, but she still makes me nervous. Especially when she is up there. She still isn't as stable on her feet as I'd like her to be when she has 5 feet to fall. So, I spent a great deal of time up in the tower too.



Last night, when I was done reflecting on the fun day we had outside I decided maybe Orion's appearance in the sky wasn't such a bad thing. The sooner he shows up, the sooner he leaves. I'm hoping by the time he is gone (if not sooner) that Riley won't be waking up in the middle of the night and my sightings of Orion will be on my own terms.

No comments: